Saturday, April 17, 2010

Photo of the Day April 13th


There was a Teacher Appreciation lunch at the school today that I wanted to lend support to, but due to previous commitments I wasn't able to actually be on hand to serve food... so I volunteered to help during the planning stages with things like food prep and decorations. Over the past few days I brought little things over to the school that might help support the lunch's theme (Mexican Fiesta!), helped make posters and invitations for the Teachers, washed and chopped a whole lot of lettuce and made corn tortillas (or pupusas, since they were thicker) from scratch using the Tortilla press my dad brought me from Mexico. It was so much fun donning my apron from The Little Mexican Cooking School and getting ready to play with my brand new toy... Sophie got in on the action and was actually responsible for making most of the pupusas herself - we even recorded a video of the whole thing for my Dad so he could see how quickly she was able to master the tortilla press. If I'm able to compress the video enough to upload to the blog I will, but thus far the file size is too big - if only compressing a video could be done in that handy tortilla press we'd be up and running!
0

3 comments:

  1. I loved this blog for several reasons including the funny bit at the end about the tortilla press. Way to go Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray, glad to see the apron in action!! Now the question is... what else was on your menu of the day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lunch was set up buffet-style with rice, refried beans, tomatoes, lettuce, ground beef, salsa, guacamole, tortillas, taco shells, nacho chips, white and green onion, sour cream, lime, cilantro, jalapeños, and a lovely cilantro-lime salad dressing that someone made in case anyone wanted salad. North-Americanized Mexican as opposed to authentic, but a real treat over the Teacher's typical bagged sandwiches from home! To top it off the volunteers brought a couple of blenders and made virgin margaritas and hung a piñata for the Teachers to break... from the pictures I saw it looked like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete