Friday, November 6, 2009

Photo of the Day November 6th

Sophie, deep in negotiations with her new swimming teacher
0
Sophie had her first "on her own" swimming lesson last night. I've been taking her to the pool since she was an infant, first in organized Mommy-and-Me style classes and then on our own so she could play while I taught her some basic swimming moves. On our more recent trips to the pool she's been brave and coordinated enough to let go of the side of the pool and swim a few short kicks to me completely unassisted, so we decided that now would be a good time for her to start more formal swimming lessons. I think the idea of Mommy not coming into the water was drilled into her enough before the class that it didn't come as a surprise, but I must say she was still more resistant to the teacher's instructions than I hoped she would be... each time she was given an instruction she presented a counter-offer. If the teacher said they would be putting their faces in the water Sophie would tell her that she was only willing to put her chin in the water - the teacher would then counter with a suggestion that she consider putting her lips in the water too, and so on and so on. It's kind of funny watching someone else deal with my little negotiator... I feel like I've been spending a lot of my time lately either working out compromises or trying to squelch an oncoming tantrum because I'm not able (or willing) to negotiate on something. I think perhaps we should be increasing Sophie's RESP contributions in anticipation of her upcoming decision to enter law school.
0

No comments:

Post a Comment