Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Photo of the Day January 15th


I'm one very excited lady today... first thing this morning I took advantage of a presale opportunity and picked up two very good tickets to see James Taylor and Carole King at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. While I don't have much to say on the subject of Carole King, I have a lot to say about James Taylor, one of my musical heroes since I was a child. My first JT memory was his appearance as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live in 1979, when I was around six years old... the sound of him singing "Up On The Roof" at what must have been around midnight brought me downstairs, and my parents let me sit up and watch his performance before sending me back to bed. After two aborted attempts to see him in concert (one a sell-out before I got my hands on tickets, and the other cancelled because of a strike), I saw my first James Taylor concert at the Molson Amphetheatre about ten years ago, and was so excited and moved and... well, enveloped by "fandom" that I wept through his first two and a half songs. I've seen him in concert twice since then so this show will be my fourth - and I'm excited that my partner for it will by my mother. Her love of folksy singer-songwriters (Rickie Lee Jones, Joan Armatrading, etc) as I was growing up was part of what fed my love of James Taylor's style, so the fact that we can share this concert experience is pretty special. I'm counting down to May 28th already!
0

No comments:

Post a Comment