Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Photo of the Day January 9th


My name is Summer, and I'm an addict. My vice of choice? Books... and I'm in deep right now. I've always been a veracious reader, but occasionally something comes along that will really suck me in (oh, I made an unintentional pun there - you'll understand it later) and at the moment that "something" is my new set of Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. They fall under the category of Mystery novels, which usually isn't a go-to genre for me, but they also feature a favourite theme of mine: vampires. I've been hooked on vampire stories since my teen years, and can clearly (and rather embarrassingly now) recall spending endless hours listening to the soundtrack from The Lost Boys because it was the best movie of all time (bear in mind, this is 15-year-old me talking okay, cut me some slack.) The ironic thing about my appreciation for vampires is that I can't stand horror movies, and stay away from horror writing at all costs - you won't ever find me pouring over a Stephan King novel. Perhaps "vampire lite" better describes my genre of choice, and the Sookie Stackhouse novels nicely fit the bill... fun, sexy, dramatic and terribly, terribly addicting. I've already torn my way through the first four books, and I do believe that my friendly mail carrier dropped them off (yay for free shipping at Chapters.ca!) roughly five days ago. I've sacrificed sleep... I've read my way through breakfast... and when I leave the house the book goes in my purse, just in case I find myself with a few spare minutes in what would otherwise be a busy day. Sadly there are only eight in the set, so despite being insanely busy with the school newsletter which is due in two days and a significant project for Tecumseh's School Council, I just bet I've burned through them by the end of the week. Not looking forward to the withdrawal symptoms...
0

1 comment:

  1. I was so thankful to see you abandon Sweet Valley High for other books. I was totally creeped out by the Lost Boys soundtrack, which you played over and over and over and over and over and over again. So, I'm not surprised by your vanpire lit liking.

    ReplyDelete