Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Photo of the Day October 11th


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I know some of us Canadians celebrate the holiday on Sunday and others on Monday, but since we're getting together with Chris's family for the big dinner today our greeting goes out today as well. Our house has that holiday smell... the turkey's been roasting in the oven since this morning, we made two kinds of stuffing (one with meat, one without), gravy's simmering on the stove (again, both the standard and a veggie alternative), and a salmon & veggie pot pie is cooling on the counter. We'll be off to Mary's house shortly to spend some time visiting before digging into the big meal... I'm sure like most Thanksgiving revelers we'll all be in a stupor on assorted couches shortly thereafter!
0
A partial list of what I'm thankful for this year (because really, I could go on for pages):
  • That I'm married to my best friend, and that we've held true to our promise to always treat each other with respect no matter what the situation. I'm thankful that when I look ahead to Thanksgiving ten years, twenty years from now that Chris will be by my side asking "How do you think today went?", encouraging me talk through whatever craziness we've faced so we can laugh about it together.
  • Everything about Sophie. Her crazy sense of humour and accompanying laugh, the way she tells stories, her love of being around other people, the hand gestures she uses when she talks, and her strikingly vivid imagination.
  • My family, both immediate and extended. Family is the life and breath of me... they feed my soul and charge my battery, are shelter from emotional storms and a cheering section when I need one.
  • That I'm able to be a stay-at-home-mom for the first, most vital years of Sophie's life. It's a difficult road, especially financially... but it's one I don't regret a single minute of.
  • My health, and the health of those I love. So, we may not be the poster children for perfectly healthy living... but we're trying and making improvements each day to ensure we have many years ahead of being together.
As I said, the list could go on... but there are some of my essentials. If reading my little list got you thinking, I hope you take a moment to jot down what you're thankful for. Even better - show your list to the people you love so they know how much they mean to you... and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
0

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for my one and only daughter, her sense of humour, the way she tells stories, especially in her blog, which I truly couldn't do without, her hugs, her time spent on IM with me, our times together, cribbage with her etc. I'm thankful she has found a wonderful life partner. I am thankful for Sophie my one and only grand child, who is everything Summer says she is and more. She is a gift to the world.
    I am thankful for friends... they may be few but they are wonderful. I'm thankful for what little work comes my way. I'm thankful for organic farmers. I'm thankful that Barak Obama is a president who is setting a good tone for the world finally. I am thankful for my family, who though we live far apart can talk as if we saw each other yesterday.

    ReplyDelete