Monday, August 10, 2009

Photo of the Day August 8th


Saturday is one of my favourite days of the week: it may not really be a "weekend" for me (as I commented to my cousin recently, stay-at-home-moms don't really get weekends), but it is the day we head to our local farmers market. It's a trip I look forward to every week - I like getting to know the people who grow the fruits & veggies we buy, like the wonderful folks from Leamington who grow the mini heirloom tomatoes we often come home with. I think it's so important to give Sophie an understanding of the whole cycle of food consumption from raw ingredients to prepared dinner - it's one of the reasons we so often give her kitchen "jobs" to do when we cook. I think that it can be very easy to fall into an eating-by-convenience lifestyle disconnecting kids from pure, raw ingredients: when asked where corn comes from I just really don't want Sophie to answer "in a prepackaged container from the freezer section of the grocery store". I did face some challenges this week that I normally don't, since Chris is in the midst of a 10-day stretch of overnight shifts. Without his assistance I had to rely on the butcher not to steer me (the long-time vegetarian) wrong, and I discovered just how heavy all this fresh meat & produce can get by the end of the trip!
0

No comments:

Post a Comment